Saturday, April 27, 2013

Some Strain Variation


Hey all,

I spent a nice hobby day working on some strain conversions. I used the hot water method to pose and cut the models. than to add some extra variation I did some green stuff work on them. I spent far more time on them than I really should of but I had a lot of fun doing it. The phase ones are some of my favorite models from the set, and I am big fan of multiple poses.

Here are some close ups. and details on the conversions.
I was super excited to find out that when the models are hot they cut easier. I was able to cut 2 models in half and not lose any detail with just an exacto knife. It also surprised  me how well the halves went together from the 2 different sculpts. They still do need a little green stuff to cover the gaps, but not much. 

Simple repose with hot water. I wanted to see how far I could push the models. so I tried to bend this guys torso. It was pretty hard but it did bend.


This one I reposed to make him crawling. I also cut the legs off, in to add so more variety.  I Sculpted some spore vents and tentacles. My idea being that this strain was mutating into spore vent.



This was the other body swap. I reposed the legs into a running position, and covered up the gaps with some more bloating. Again I was very happy with how well the two halves matched up.


I did the most sculpting work on this one. I reposed him slightly. I picture him to either be in the process of mutating or being some kind of head crab brooding host, who drags around the egg sacks as they feed off of him.

Simple repose of the legs adds some motion to the model. I tried to add motion to some of the poses as I feel it to be lacking in the basic strain poses.

All in all I love converting, so was very happy to see that even tho these are mostly single pose models they can be worked and added to just as easily than other plastic kits that are out there. They are much easier than converting metal models which is nice. The hard plastic had me worried at first but with some hot water handy it becomes fairly easy to work with.

Cheers all, I was really inspired by all the other great strain conversions I have seen around!

3 comments:

  1. Great work here! So how have your models turned out, once painted?

    Good to see another Aussie into Sedition Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfortunately have moved since working on these guys, and no longer have them with me :(. I will hopefully have time in the future to work more on Sedition Wars.

      Where did you get the idea that i am an Aussie? I am from the US. just curious what made you think that :).

      Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete