Saturday, April 27, 2013

Some Strain Variation

Hey all,

I spent a nice hobby day working on some strain conversions. I used the hot water method to pose and cut the models. than to add some extra variation I did some green stuff work on them. I spent far more time on them than I really should of but I had a lot of fun doing it. The phase ones are some of my favorite models from the set, and I am big fan of multiple poses.

Here are some close ups. and details on the conversions.
I was super excited to find out that when the models are hot they cut easier. I was able to cut 2 models in half and not lose any detail with just an exacto knife. It also surprised  me how well the halves went together from the 2 different sculpts. They still do need a little green stuff to cover the gaps, but not much. 

Simple repose with hot water. I wanted to see how far I could push the models. so I tried to bend this guys torso. It was pretty hard but it did bend.

This one I reposed to make him crawling. I also cut the legs off, in to add so more variety.  I Sculpted some spore vents and tentacles. My idea being that this strain was mutating into spore vent.

This was the other body swap. I reposed the legs into a running position, and covered up the gaps with some more bloating. Again I was very happy with how well the two halves matched up.

I did the most sculpting work on this one. I reposed him slightly. I picture him to either be in the process of mutating or being some kind of head crab brooding host, who drags around the egg sacks as they feed off of him.

Simple repose of the legs adds some motion to the model. I tried to add motion to some of the poses as I feel it to be lacking in the basic strain poses.

All in all I love converting, so was very happy to see that even tho these are mostly single pose models they can be worked and added to just as easily than other plastic kits that are out there. They are much easier than converting metal models which is nice. The hard plastic had me worried at first but with some hot water handy it becomes fairly easy to work with.

Cheers all, I was really inspired by all the other great strain conversions I have seen around!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hurley Drone Painted!

hey all,

I have gotten some good painting time in with the Hurley this last week or so. Decided not to do the popular source lighting on the engines. I spent far to long on its base coat with the air brush, but I am pretty happy with the color and layering I was able to achieve. I tried to put some subtle paint chipping and streaking on parts I thought would get bump and scratched when patrolling narrow corridors. In the end I am pretty happy with the  results but wish somethings had gone a little smoother. The decals I used might of been old or something as they didn't want to stick down right. I decided to leave them cause I thought they still added something to the model. I went a little heavy with the weathering on the base so I might not add any blood but I am still unsure.

Anyway here are some pics!

Let me know what you guys think! hope to used this guy in a game soon. Probably going to work on the Grendel next.

Cheers all.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Corpsmen Vade Painted!

Hey all,

Finally getting back into pace with my Sedition Wars painting. Had two great games yesterday got to play once as strain and once as vanguard.

Got me hyped to finish painting my Vade model and get started on some new projects as well... more on those in a future post!

I started Vade when I was in a real painting slump. Every time I looked at him I didn't like what I saw. But I was finally able to push through and just finish him. There are still somethings I would of liked to have done differently but I think he came out ok. Anyway here are some pictures of him! over all he is a great model lots of nice details and fairly decent pose.

Now that he is done I can move onto the other characters with a more firm scheme in mind for what their uniforms will be.

Cheers all! Feels good to be back at the work bench.